Every year our church spends a Sunday out in the community instead of meeting together. We sign up for various service projects and commit to doing those on that day. I signed us up to visit a senior living center. Now, for some people, this is a pleasant way to spend a Sunday morning. For me, I pretty much steer clear of humanity that I do not know. I'm a comfort-zone kinda girl. I knew when we chose this activity that it would stretch me, make me uncomfortable. I sort of even dreaded going till I prayed, asking God to change my heart.
I can't say it was an easy morning, but it sure was a blessed one. We met this 87-year old man who is a veteran of World War II. He invited us into his apartment and showed us picture after picture after picture. He told us about the war, famous commanders he met, wonderful places he got to visit, peppering the entire conversation with 2 parts history, 1 part informed opinion. He was sharp as a tack. We listened, he told. And to think we were trying to serve others, but God had something different in mind when he allowed this man to bless me.

What a cool thing to do. It would be stretch for me too.
ReplyDeleteI love listening to older people tell their history. I am glad you left your comfort zone and experienced something good. My professor in college always called it pushing the button. :)
ReplyDeleteI love meeting vets from WWII, as well as Holocaust survivors. I'm humbled and awed by them. I hope there are a lot of historians out there recording their accounts. We're going to need their primary source accounts of that time period in 20 - 50 years so their stories can live on.
ReplyDelete"I pretty much steer clear of humanity that I do not know."
ReplyDeleteI love that line! Me too!!
I know it is difficult for me to choose things out of my comfort zone. I know you made a difference by doing so.
ReplyDelete