Tuesday, March 27, 2012

3 Things



As a get-to-know-you at our first small group home fellowship this spring, we played the Deserted Island game. We had to choose three things we'd take with us if we were stranded on a deserted island. One had to be a book; one a CD; and one a movie. We were all just living with the absurd assumption that we'd be able to enjoy these things once there.

I had no trouble with the book and movie - Pat Conroy's Beach Music and Gone With the Wind. But the music stumped me. I could not for the life of me think of something I would want to listen to for the rest of my life. Being the second one to go (aaack!), I blurted out the BeeGees.

Segue to today's National Geographic Explorer article we read in 2nd grade - Islands. I thought it would be interesting to see what my kids would choose to bring to a deserted island with them. I opened the parameters for them - three things: one had to be a book, the other two could be toys or objects. Families and pets would be with you. I heard a lot about book sets for Judy Moody and Magic Tree House. I love how they knew a set could be a single object. :) I heard about maps and compasses and flashlights, Bakugan toys and stuffed animals and sleeping bags, DSi's and laptops and iPhones. I heard not a single mention of disco.   What is this world coming to?

No comments:

Post a Comment