Tuesday, March 06, 2012
On My Rocker
There is one part of our school day that I hold absolutely sacred. Nobody gets up. Nobody rips the Velcro on their shoes. Nobody burps, farts, sneezes, or crinkles their water bottles. This is our time in the Zone. Every day after recess, without fail, we settle ourselves on the pillows and carpet and comfy chairs around it for whatever installment awaits in our chapter book read aloud. I perch on the rocker that's missing its rockers. Actually, it's cozier this way. My short legs dangle easily over the arms as I read in 99 voices. This is our time. I guard it fiercely, and if anybody interrupts it, the kids and I will squash them like a bug. Don't mess with read-aloud. Today's post is brought to you by Avi's Ragweed, which is the first in a series in which we've already read the second.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am so glad you guard the read- aloud time. As a child, I grew to love reading through the read aloud. Now, I love being the guest reader and introduce wonderful stories. Read on, guard of the oral words.
ReplyDeleteI love the way you started this. The reading time catches even the most reluctant when there is a reader who loves to read in the room.
ReplyDelete