Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Delayed Gratification

"I was an accomplished practitioner of delayed gratification. ... I learned it eating Tootsie Roll Pops as a child." ~ Jessie, The Mermaid's Chair
When I read this today, I wondered what I was willing to stall happiness for. Here is the very short list.
* Reading a favorite magazine, especially Southern Living. I am willing to wait till the sunlight is at its best angle, the porch is clean, and all my worries are hidden under a rug before I crack the cover.
* Finding out what's in a Christmas present. No hints, please.
* Getting a new pair of shoes. They have to be perfect. They have to be on sale. I'll happily wait till I find the right pair.
* Eating dessert - except a Tootsie Roll Pop. I crunch into it by the 3rd lick.
I am ashamed to say I cannot think of another thing I'm willing to delay gratification for. I'm not sure if that says I'm a selfish louse or just too tired to think. I'm going with the latter after I grab some ice cream.

3 comments:

  1. Cute Wendi - Loved The Mermaid's Chair! Not a fan of delayed gratification either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it just means you are enjoying life. ;) This was a fun idea for a post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great observation - I can delay gratification for ice cream as long as it isn't in the fridge :)

    ReplyDelete