Sunday, March 11, 2012

Baptism Sunday



I decided to follow Jesus when I was still in elementary school. I  was baptized then, too.  The baptismal pool was right there in the church, filled with warm water a handful of times a year. I wore a white choir-looking robe; the minister wore one, too, but I don't recall the color.  I was dipped, brought back up, and the church watched quietly, politely. I remember being careful not to let the water splash too much. I didn't want to be noisy. But I was happy. I remember feeling real joy.

Benjy and Camden were baptized today. But their baptism was more like a party, a celebration of their public declaration to follow Jesus. As each was lifted from the water, our church family clapped and cheered. We did this for 13 people today, a few children, many adults. We borrowed the local aquatic center where life guards were posted to observe. The 13 dressed in tee shirts and shorts, walked down a ramp into the water, and then did what Jesus did two thousand years ago. It was a truly joyous day. I know my boys felt it. I know I did, too.











4 comments:

  1. I'm celebrating with you. I love baptism -- an outward symbol of an inward change. Beautiful.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a joyful day! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, remember my baptism as a solemn affair. I love that my current church celebrates like you described for your sons...applause and cheers to encourage and support! What a great day for your sons and your family! Blessings to all!

    ReplyDelete