Tomorrow I'll show this sentence to my second graders:
The room was really, really messy.
Then I'll reveal this:
All seven pillows that belong on the couch are strewn across the floor. Legos in reds, greens, blues, and yellows are scattered on the hardwood beside three dirty socks. The rug is dotted with crumbs from Benjy's morning Pop-Tart. And tumbleweeds of dog hair roll into the corners. Does anybody care how this room looks? EinTheCat sits in the windowsill stalking birds in the trees. He doesn't care. EmmaTheDog snoozes on the couch where the pillows used to be. She doesn't care. Benjy and Camden could watch TV in a pig sty. They don't care. "Am I the only one who finds this room revolting?" I ask myself as I stoop to pick up the pillows.
Tonight I'm just left here wondering if my students will think Mrs. Richert's house is really, really messy, or Mrs. Richert really needs to watch more TV.

I think your students will think the last part, that Mrs. Ruchert really needs to watch more TV. In any case, I think they will love this piece as a mentor text for their writing. I love the references to, EinTheCat and EmmaTheDog too.
ReplyDeleteI work in a low income school. Many of my students live in substandard housing. When I write about my cat catching a mouse there is a big bond with my students!
ReplyDelete