Monday, July 14, 2008

Dork Alert:
I've begun writing down the books I read in a little journal. In June, I read two novels. Not an impressive amount of reading for a first grade teacher who loves to teach reading more than anything else. So far this month, I have finished one novel and one professional book. Here is my current reading pile.

Don't you love how flat books are? You can stack them up. You can put your coffee cup on them. You can carry one under your arm while holding your coffee cup in one hand and the phone in another. Books are flat, but, when you open them up, they are so FULL OF STUFF! 

When I lived in Virginia, my teacher friends and I started this really informal version of a book club. We met at each others' homes once a month or so and simply talked about what we had been reading. Mostly we just talked. But we made sure to share our current faves at sometime during the night. 

One month, when I was prego with Benjy, I was about to pop and couldn't concentrate on reading for more than a minute at a time. I brought an issue of Cosmo to that book club. Obviously I'm not a high-brow reader. But I do love to read, and now that summer vacation is well underway, I'm catching up on all the reading I don't manage to squeeze in during the school year. 

13 comments:

  1. I've not read a book in forever. I used to read Patricia Cornwell. Do you like her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is she the one who writes medical examiner novels??? I think I read one of hers years ago. I'm so into crime fiction now. The John Sandford books in the Prey series are hot; and character Detective Davenport is a hottie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, that's her. She solves crime. By examining the medical stuff. Hehehe

    (my code to post this is "furpe". That's a pretty good word.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both of those authors! I think I've read all of Patricia Cornwell and still have several (let me know if you want to borrow any).

    As far as being a "dork" for writing down the names of the books you've read - what do you call someone who makes a spreadsheet of them in excel??? I won't tell you who does that but I'll give you a hint - CTP. He's in Boston, so he can't hit me from there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa.....we have some major OCD issues in this Special Forces group!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw a button the other day that said "I have CDO, which is in alphabetical order as the disease SHOULD BE"

    I thought of ES and Wendi. Little did I know that CTP was just as bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay. I'll get together a few that I have.

    Since we're sharing OCD issues (and I'm irrated that CTP hasn't called me yet tonight) I'll air a little bit more of his dirty laundry...He has a spreadsheet of every move that he has seen, a spreadsheet of everyone that he and I, and each individual boy has traveled to, and he arranges his books on the shelf from tallest to shortest. If you're read this honey - Just teasing and I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again, I obviously need to proofread before I post because that should have said "movies" and "everywhere" not everyone. Airhead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought I was OCD. Well, not much. I certainly don't make spreadsheets. Now, I do make maps of my classroom before I move furniture. And I do make a list of stuff to do before school. But that's the end of my listmaking. I don't even make Christmas lists!
    Poor CTP. Guess that'll teach him to go to Boston! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my best memories is of you and Michelle in your twin beds surrounded by your library books, reading to Candy. If you really want to get into OCD, ask Ms. Wendi about Camden's toys when he was a babe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAHAHA! Your Mom just called you out, Wendi! HEHEHE Now, you gotta tell.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK - Barb brings up a great story! Southern Belle used to count the kids toys. For example, a set of dinosaurs that came in a set with a chart. I hid one of the dinosaurs for a while just to see what would happen. It wasn't pretty. (I still have the bruise!) :)

    ReplyDelete