Wednesday, July 30, 2008


Splish Splash
This fountain is in the lake on the campus at my college - a lake that used to be a field when I went there. Mom and I drove around the campus yesterday and I was blown away by how much it had grown since I graduated in '90. When I lived here, the campus was sparse with buildings. I lived in one apartment building on campus across the field (now lake) from the main dormitory. The cafeteria/student building was tiny and an easy walk at the center of the campus. The two classroom buildings were on top of what we called suicide hill - a steep flight of concrete steps that ascended what seemed like a mountain. I knew that if I had to climb those steps right after eating my breakfast of Captain Crunch on vanilla ice cream then I'd burn off every single calorie and be good to go for lunch after class. My tinytown college is now sprawling with new dorm buildings, new classroom buildings, a new and HUGE student center, a football stadium (we didn't even have a football team when I went there), construction of a new arts building, and who knows what else is going on. Wow. Even more telling, this college is situated on the one-time Wise County Poor Farm. 



This is the opening of Judith Viorst's account of 90 days with her son Alexander (of Alexander and the Terrible No Good Horrible Very Bad Day fame), his wife and three children in their Victorian home in D.C. My kids LOVE Alexander books, and I love Viorst's writing. Mom checked this out at the library for me yesterday. Man, I miss that library. It's a thousand times better than Greensburg's - more books, more space, inviting and clean, nothing like a dungeon at all. 

Here's the Benjymeister with Mom, aka Nana. You can barely see the mountains behind them. Beautiful. 
And here are the Men Folk in what Mom is making sure I tell you is THE GARAGE/MAN CAVE. THIS IS NOT HER LIVING ROOM. There. She wanted you to know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment