So anyway, as I was saying, I've got this terrific CD with a track of the Helen Reddy belting out Delta Dawn, and I'm listening to it as I drive over the mountain today to school. And honey, let me tell you, I had the window down, the cool breeze blowing on my face, and it was quite a chilly morn so I had the seat warmers on, too, for balance. Balance is important like that. Well, I was singing to the top of my lungs with Helen. I wasn't just a back up singer for her, I was her understudy. The boys weren't with me, so this was OK. I typically don't do my singing in front of people. Even in church.
And as I was Delta Dawning my heart out, I was having the sweetest flashbacks to the 70s, growing up on Poplar Street with my childhood BFF Kim and her sister Karen and my own sister Michelle. Growing up, we used to play Show. Oh, we'd do little ditties from Donnie and Marie, Sonny and Cher, a few disco tunes from the BeeGees, and even a little Elvis because he was King. And we'd always, always, without fail, sing Delta Dawn. We didn't have a clue what it was about, and of course there were no Friday Night Videos to help us figure it out, but we knew all the words by heart so we sang it A LOT. And to this day, I still know every single word, and I can sing it to you if you give me a lot of money.
Thanks for stopping by and for the sweet comment. I'm glad you were touched by the Sunday Morning verse. It's nice to "meet" you.
ReplyDeleteAwe! I can just imagine those little girls at the top of your page, SINGING away!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you posted the you tube clip cause I never heard that song before. I'm just too young, I guess. Ha Ha! However, my sister and I did pretend to be Donnie and Marie and put on shows for my mom.
ReplyDeleteHey, sweetie, I've heard you sing! Wow, imagine all those other people passing in their cars thinking what a happy woman you must be!! Funny!
ReplyDeleteI only remember Courtney Cox doing karaoke to it on an episode of Friends. As I recall she got a very positive reaction, but only because you could see through her shirt...
ReplyDeleteBwaahahaha! I knew that I recognized that song from somewhere but couldn't for the life of me remember where I'd heard it before. Thanks for clearing it up for me CTP!!!
ReplyDelete