






Here, in no particular order, are the top 5 books I've read in recent years.
1. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (book 6 of 7), JK Rowling
2. The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd
3. A Designer's Eye for Scrapbooking, Ali Edwards
4. The Lion's Game, Nelson Demille
5. Beach Music, Pat Conroy
Pat Conroy has been my favorite author for years now. His books absolutely absorb me, grip me with their very real characters and keep me awake well past midnight with their complex plots. I finish one book and sit and wait and wait and wait for another to come. He's such an excellent writer that he doesn't merely pump out one book after another. He seems to savor his characters and the tales. I wonder what his next novel will be....
Nelson Demille has written several books I've read, some I've loved, some just so-so. But this Lion's Game was the best. I can remember walking on my treadmill - pregnant - reading it. I just couldn't put this puppy down! If you like fast-paced thrillers, then this is for you.
Ali Edwards is my favorite scrapbook designer. And there are sooooo many wonderful ones out there that it's hard to choose one. But her style, her subjects, her way with a page, well, if you see her work, then you'll know why I wanna be just like her when I grow up. :)
I'm reading Sue Monk Kidd's The Mermaid's Chair right now. Actually, I read the first chapter last night and then dropped off to sleep. So, I'll be rereading that tonight! I so loved her Bees book, though, that I know this one will be just as beautiful and poignant as the first. It was a year ago that I read Bees when my best friend Jodie sent it to me for my b'day. What a touching book with the most wonderful writing. She's got a wonderful way with words.
And finally, JK Rowling. The first time I heard Harry Potter, I was helping with a Southwest Virginia Writing Project thing and another teacher read the first chapter to us. Absolutely still, we were. Listening. I'd forgotten how wonderful it is to be read to. She had the best voice and she was so into the book. I went straight to Ram's Head Books that afternoon and bought my own copy. I've read all the other ones, and am amazed that they get better and better. It's amazing to follow the development of these characters over this seven year span (in their lives). It's actually going to take more than 7 years for the series to be finished. I think Rowling is amazing to pull this off. She's succeeded in captivating kids and adults alike with her series. You can't help but wonder what she'll do after Harry.
So, what's up with the Rococo book? Well, I've decided it'll be my next book. I'm gonna make a little detour to Barnes and Noble soon, grab a cup of hot chocolate with caramel (skim milk, of course), and buy this latest from Big Stone Gap author Adrianna Trigione. She's from the Gap, just a stone's toss from where I grew up in Norton. I'm feeling proud! It's great to have a new book to look forward to. (Thanks, Mom, for giving me this awesome gift - the love of BOOKS!)
No comments:
Post a Comment