When I hop in Anderson Cooper (my car) and drive off, I'm usually tuning out something. It could be NPR because I just don't care about what's happening in Egypt at that moment. It could be Benjy because I don't really want to hear about what so-and-so did at school today. It could be Camden because I don't need to be reminded about what it's like to be 11 (read, awkward).
But today I had a special 15-minute drive all by my self. I dropped the boys off at karate and headed to Michael's to get some supplies for our Christmas presents to our parents. Yes, this was a schooly thing. My favorite Christmas CD was playing, the one by Casting Crowns, and this song came on:
I cranked up the volume. I sang along. The song ended, so I replayed it.
I boosted the volume to 30 and sang louder.
When it was over, I replayed it again.
And pressed volume to 39. Because I could.
I belted it out. I tried to harmonize, but didn't care if it worked or not. I cried. Tears welled up in my eyes for the baby who was wrapped in dirty blankets.
No room.
Tears for a people who killed the very rescuer who they were looking for.
Tears for a country that "saves the trees and kills the children."
I don't often get all teary when I drive. I'm often too busy tuning out things and shushing children and looking out for deer or squirrels or Yankees that may dart into my path. So when I have the chance to tune in to just one sound, just one, I can sink deep into it.
And so it was that in the parking lot at Michael's, I was praising God and turning off the headlights and wipers at the same time. I practically floated into the store, still singing in my head.
Of course, by the time I reached the glitter aisle, I lost the tune. All I could summon was this:
No comments:
Post a Comment