Wendi, the Hunchback of Windsor.
Sounds better than it looks.
And why yes, those are the very same blue oxford pajama bottoms I have had since 2003, purchased for a mere pence at the Eddie Bauer outlet in Columbus, Ohio, go Bucks, or something like that.
Our perfectly wonky $35 tree is still standing, soaking up the water that so far not a creature has lapped. Praise for our creatures!
This was the first year in quite a while that I actually hearted every single minute of decorating the tree. I poked through the Rubbermaid box, putting aside the cheesy store-bought ones that held no personal value, pulling out the decorations that meant something. Tomorrow, assuming I get home before dark, because the sun sets here at the alarming hour of 4:30 p.m., I'll post pictures of some of my favorite ornaments. One has been on my tree since I was a wee thing. You'll want to see pictures of me as a wee thing. Yes, you will.
I didn't always have a hunch back.
The awesome thing about trimming this tree? As I put ornaments on I found myself praying for the person who gave each decoration to us.
Prayers for Curt's sister, Tam, who gives us the most amazing, intricately carved wooden ornaments each year. Our tree is mostly full of these.
Prayers for Uncle Mike, who passed away last month, and his ex-wife Diane. They attached one ornament to the top of a package I was given when my years were numbered in single digits.
Prayers for my dear high school friend Laurie, whose aunts made the noodle angel ornament. Even if the halo has since broken.
Prayers for Camden and Benjy for all their hand-made goodness in the last decade.
Prayers for Curt's mom whose dinging blue bells are always the first to go on the tree.
Prayers after prayers after prayers. No wonder I felt so blessed adorning this tree with these precious memories and their people.
Asking for blessings reaps blessings.
No comments:
Post a Comment