My favorite Christmas movie may be the nostalgic classic A Christmas Story, but when it comes to optimism and courage and strength of character, I'd have to pick It's a Wonderful Life as my fave. I love this scene where Jimmy Stewart, as George Bailey, wonders into a bar and cries out to God for help. As the late Jimmy Stewart told it to Guideposts magazine, he wasn't even acting. He actually began to sob on the spot, following the script and crying real tears as he raised his eyes and prayed, "God... God... dear Father in heaven, I'm not a praying man, but if you're up there and you can hear me, show me the way. I'm at the end of my rope. Show me the way, God..."
Stewart to Guideposts: As I said those words, I felt the loneliness, the hopelessness of
people who had nowhere to turn, and my eyes filled with tears. I broke
down sobbing. This was not planned at all, but the power of that prayer, the realization that our Father in heaven is there to help the hopeless, had reduced me to tears.
Wow, I just love knowing that bit of trivia. Even the director, Frank Capra, realized that repeating the scene for a close-up was unlikely since Stewart was being so real here. So he tweaked the film, zooming in and in and in until he had the expression, the emotion, up close and real.
Isn't God like that? I may move near and far from Him throughout my day, but he can always zoom in on me for a close-up. He knows my emotions, my vulnerability, when I'm over the moon or at the end of my rope.
When I do pause to pray, whether in complete desperation or in hasty unfocused spurts, He can get closer than I can imagine. He can frame the expression on my face in perfect focus and know what I need before I can even name it.
And if I am quiet, if I just shut up and listen for a change, I can hear God loud and clear:
I love you, dear daughter.
I love you enough,
more than enough.
I have a plan for you,
and it is amazing.
Rest in that.
For you are sealed as mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment