Poplar Street
OK, so this isn't a street. But it's a house on a street. The street where I spent my formative years whiling away the days with Michelle and our bffs Kim and Karen who lived across the road. It's a tiny street, barely wide enough for two cars to pass and not on the way to anywhere so thru traffic is practically nonexistent. Poplar Street itself is sort of like a mini neighborhood. As kids, this was our playground. We'd wake up in the morning full of plans - jump rope, bike rides back and forth and back and forth (but not down the hill, or else we'd have to push 'em back up), trips across the road to one another's house all the livelong day. It really is the kind of street where you can let your kids play in the road.
As I grew up and my teeth grew out and my hair got bigger, I played less and less on Poplar Street. Jump rope gave way to band, bikes to cars, and Kim and Karen moved away leaving the echo of their baby brother's big wheel racing down the street. Then I moved away, on to bigger and better things, I'd said, some of the giant poplar trees were cut down. A new house appeared along the road. Cars parked on the side regularly. It was more like a parking lot than the playground I remembered. A few families moved to Poplar Street, but their children didn't play on the road. Times changed, I guess. Poplar Street was a simpler place back when Kim, Karen, Michelle and I were trying to figure out what to do with an evening after school. No video games. No DVDs. No computers. Just time to be out with friends playing in the road.
This little trip down memory lane was brought to you today by this post from Dina Wakley who is guest designing for Jenni Bowlin Studios and is hosting a little contest for a new scrapbook kit club called Kenner Road. Somebody somewhere lived on Kenner Road. I'm sure it's a lovely place. Anyway, to kick off the whole kit club, Dina and a whole crew of Kenner Road gals are giving away prizes to some lucky entrant who writes about their hometown street. And I want to win a prize from Kenner Road, and from these gals. And since Eaglescout left today to clean up after Ike, AND my birthday is fast approacing, I figure I deserve a prize. Don't you think I am most deserving?
Now, I'm off to tear the house down looking for an actual picture of Poplar Street.
Fantastic recollection....just earlier this week I was talking about how you would have to pry me off my big wheel...and then when the "green machine" came out that became my new ride of choice! LOL
ReplyDeleteKids really do need, if not a lot, then at least a little bit of playing outside just to play...my 3 1/2 yr old niece will sit and tell us "i'm bored"!! At 3 yrs! We never knew what bored was and we didn't have half the luxuries kids have today....it's as if playing & running in the street is truly a luxury not afforded to today's children. :0
Thanks for walking down memory lane with us at Kenner Road.
I'd give a million bucks to have y'all back playing on Poplar St. It was and is a wonderful street but I miss hearing Phyllis yell for the girls and Scott, and only rarely????????????????yelling myself!!!Such good days. It was so good to see the boys enjoy our street this summer, history repeating itself.
ReplyDeleteLove your memories, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteah the big wheel! i LOVED my big wheel!!!
ReplyDeletethanks for joining in & sharing your story :)
have a great week!