Monday, December 26, 2005

The Day After


Time to start thinking about the new year. About resolutions. About change.
But first, I must think about today. The day after Christmas. All that hope, anticipation, magic, all gone. In the time it took Camden and Benjy to tear through their gifts, it was gone. Left behind - the wrappings, the boxes, even a couple of bows (even though I'd given up on using bows on my own packages years ago). All that work, all the decorating, the baking, the WAITING, and now it's gone.

The day after Christmas has always been sort of a let-down, I'm sorry to admit that, but that's the feeling year after year. I put so much effort into making the holiday perfect. One of remembering, of reverence, of magic. And in one swift moment, it's gone. I think I've finally learned my lesson. It's time to take the effort out of MAKING the magic. It's time to start letting the magic happen. It will. If I just let it. So, when I make my new year's resolutions this week, one of them will be to KEEP IT SIMPLE. Let the magic happen on its own. Live in the moment. Enjoy it. Just LET IT HAPPEN.

Merry Day After Christmas

2 comments:

  1. You're so right, it is a great big let down, but we do need to look at things differently, huh? Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, yes..I know that feeling. I think many of us have it, too. I like your idea of keeping it simple.

    ReplyDelete