Monday, December 19, 2005

Christmas traditions

Today I'm thinking about family and what made Christmases so special when I was a kid. I remember how we always drove around looking at the Christmas lights after the Christmas Eve church service. I remember how we would sit up late and watch the Johnny Carson show where Doc Severenson and the NBC Orchestra played Christmas tunes and I was sad that Johnny didn't talk or tell any jokes. (How I'd love to catch a rerun of that Christmas Eve special now.) I remember how Grandmomma Stapleton stayed the night with us and how my sister and I would knock on the adjoining wall in the mornings and she'd knock back, then we'd tiptoe into the guest room and climb into bed with Grandmomma and be happy that Christmas Day was finally here. I remember how my sister and I would "rearrange" the gifts under the tree every night for days before Christmas. We said we were "rearranging" them, but truly, we were counting them and making sure no one was getting cheated! I remember the stockings. The stockings are still my favorite part of Christmas at Mom and Dad's. Santa can stuff a stocking like nobody's business!!! I remember how I'd take my Christmas haul to my room and spread it out on my twin bed. One year I got a camera for Christmas and I took a picture of my gifts. I was so proud. I remember the smell of Barbie plastic, new crayons, Grandmomma's peanutbutter pinwheels, and candles. I remember Mom's little tree she decorated and put on the TV console in the living room. I have that tree now and it sits on the trunk in front of the window in the study. I remember hearing Santa shout Ho Ho Ho one night, the buzz of family visiting, the laugh of Daddy when we asked where Casper was that Christmas. (Casper was the ghost/son only he could see. :) ) Memories. I'm glad I took the time to remember them today.
Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you have these wonderful memories. Just think your boys will one day share their memories you're making now with you. Love ya babygirl, Mom

    ReplyDelete