My grandmomma Gibson taught me to crochet when I was a little girl. We used to make doily after doily using multicolored yard in shades of orange, cream, and brown. She also made entire afghans, not to be confused with people, hence the lowercase a. I didn't have the patience to make these until years later. And to this day, I've only made one, which was more like three quarters.
A few years ago, I discovered humongous crochet needles which allowed me to crochet humongous doilies that I use as rugs. Of course, I couldn't find humongous yarn, so I ripped old sheets and fabric remnants I scavenged at Goodwill. This took longer than working my crochet needle through all the yardage of fabric I had. I had to cut and cut and cut and tear and rip and cut to get strips of cloth. But, in the end, it was worth it for the bathroom rugs I have now. They wash up beautifully time after time. They never unravel, and they never look old. Vintage is how they look. And that's all in right now.
Of course I consider my rugs priceless since I made them, but if it were to dong on me to sell them, I'd probably stick them in a garage sale for $10 and consider myself lucky if anyone lugged them home for $5 a piece. Imagine my reaction when I discovered this rug on Etsy tonight.
It's for sale. It's humongous. It's made from cotton rope.
It's a mere $900.00.
I have to point out that this creator does not use a humongous crochet needle. She knots these rugs with her "own bare hands"! Seriously, that's amazing to me. I'm not trying to be cheeky here. And look! Isn't it beautiful! I love how you can see the floor through it, and it will still absorb your shower water. With her own bare hands!!!!!!!!!!!
So this weekend I intend to drive myself to Lowe's to buy some cotton clothesline and crochet the heck out of it. I don't want to sell it for a grand. I just want to step on it with my bare feet. I'll let you know if (a) I buy the clothesline and (2) I crochet some sort of rug with it and (troi) I step on it with my own bare feet.
In other news:
Gratitudes #21-#30 ~ in no particular order
21: Dunkin Donuts coconut hot chocolate - a Mounds bar in a cup
22: Benjy had a stomach ache at school. After the school nurse (who is really moonlighting as an honest to goodness doctor) let him rest in her office, he was good as new.
23: Chinese fried rice - the chef's specialty from Char Koon - for dinner
24: Tomorrow is a sleep-in day.
25: The Orphan Master's Son for giving me a book to read at stoplights
26: a friend from high school now on Facebook. (Remember green-horning your Camaro in downtown Big Stone Gap?)
27: Camden paid his own 5 bucks today for pizza that the middle schoolers ordered. He didn't even ask us for money. He just paid it himself. And when a classmate forgot to bring money, his whole class chipped in.
28: sea-blue toenails from left-over two-week-old pedicure ... this nail polish makes me think of the ocean
29: sleeping EmmaLemmaLimaBean, deaf to all but the most outrageous sounds. Emma who is older than Camden. Emma who is Old Faithful, if Stinky.
30: God the Father reigns, in spite of what the US presidential election forces on us. God the Father will reign.
Really cool! about the crocheted rugs! You should totally make some to sell! Post photos, please!
ReplyDelete