Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Breaking boards isn't exactly rocket science. Like, say trimming a cat's claws or cleaning a vacuum cleaner. It's all about focus and perception. You focus on the board. You perceive breaking through the board to the other side.  Not a cinch, but not impossible.

We broke boards in karate tonight. I always get a charge when my board breaks. I just don't expect that I'll nail it. And when I do, well, I'm shocked. I'm aware that I jump up and down a little, and that I may say, "yay!" It's not as obvious as it used to be. My own little celebratory ritual for the perceptually challenged.

Of course I remembered this amazing break that Camden completed in his test for black belt at ATA (American Taekwondo Association) in Greensburg, Pa. He was only 9. A fourth grader leaps and bounds more mature than the 6-year-old he was when he began.




He nailed it.
He earned that black belt, and then we moved to Ct. the very next day.


It's birthday eve for Camden.
Tomorrow at 1:27 p.m., he'll be 12 years old. 
A tween. A pre-teen. An even dozen.
And it feels like he's been with us forever. 
Thank you, God, that Camden is ours.




6 years old - showing off The Force




First grade in my class at Armbrust Christian Academy


One black belt hugging another: father and son

No comments:

Post a Comment