Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pistachio was in the mood for mixing tonight, so I scrambled around for ingredients to make orange brownies. And, no, they don't have chocolate in them. Although this initially disappointed me, I pressed on. And when I ate this orangey confection, I was satisfied that I didn't need chocolate any more. (tonight)


Here's the recipe copied and pasted from the Food Network:

Orange Brownies

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure orange extract
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange zest

Glaze:

  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange zest

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan and set aside. In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter, eggs, orange extract, and orange zest and beat with a handheld electric mixer until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until light golden brown and set. Remove from oven and pierce top of entire cake with a fork.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, stirring until smooth. Pour glaze over cake. Cool cake and cut into squares.


In other news, I uploaded some pictures from the good camera today. The one with the super zoom lens. Imagine my joy when I found these shots of Camden and Benjy and Benedict on Wednesday. Have I told you my new BFF is Benedict? And my two favorite words in the English language are "classic nor'easter"? I think I may have mentioned this before, but it's worthy of repeating.



Digging a fort. Yes, both boys are inside that fort under the snow. And the plow was far, far away at that point, so they were relatively safe.




Care to sit for a spell?
(Do you think I was supposed to bring those cushions in before winter?)




Happy birthday, Camden! His birthday was on a snow day.
I think he planned it that way.




The mail did not run on this day.
Or at least we didn't get any.




Until next time, Classic Nor'Easters.

Gratitudes:

61: Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant. Galatians 1:10

62: The enemy tried to tempt me to stay home this morning, and it would have been so, so easy. But God wouldn't let him win. And I chose to listen to HIM. We went to church, and we were blessed.

63: I ate oranges, grapefruit, grapes, and a banana today. I ate more stuff, too, but I was really proud of the fruit part.

64: Licking the orange brownie batter bowl - Proud? Not so much.

65: Curt, the boys, and I are off tomorrow!

66: It might snow this week!

67: I made dinner. All of it. By myself.

68: Watching Curt read The Hobbit to Benjy

69: Camden spent today retrofitting his Nerf guns. As much as I don't get it, he is proud of his work, and I'm proud of his diligence. This took him all afternoon. And the guns still work - with Nerf bullets only.

70: I didn't spend one thin dime today. It's good when I can accept budget lockdown mode and work within its limitations.

No comments:

Post a Comment