Camden asked me today: Mom, were any of our relatives on the Titanic?
I told him I had no idea. But it made me wonder what urged our relatives to board a boat at some time in the past and make the move to America. I'm fairly certain they didn't use floo powder.
Why then?
When it would have been easier to stay put. To not risk a dangerous voyage with no room service or poolside drinks or snorkeling excursions.
Why?
When it would have been expensive at best. Deadly at worst.
Why?
Was it a promise? Hope? God?
I wonder.
Because I daily find myself thanking God that I am here.
In America.
With the economy in a downward spiral.
With a morning newscast we call the Murder Report.
With drugged-up heroes and knocked-down politicians.
Yes, I am thankful to be here.
Because I think of where I could be.
Where I could be raising my kids.
Where we could be struggling to merely survive.
And I'm humbled that God chose this place for me and my family.
This promised land.
No comments:
Post a Comment