Sunday, July 29, 2012

Strangers in Speedos

Day 2: Still blessed. So, so blessed.


First off, we slept till 10. When does that ever happen???










Second of all, although Camden banged his nose on the ocean floor and had a bleeder and Benjy wiped out and cried, nobody suffered for more than a minute. Or two. But we're all alive and well now.
And exhibit C: Nobody but God could think to make something as breathtaking as this. Every time I look around me, I'm distracted by the beauty and wonder of it all. This is no accident.
We paid a visit to food expert Vicki before we even hit the beach. The sheepshead fish was fresh. And she was full of advice on how to fix it. I paid $25 and got enough fish for all of us, a bunch of fresh herbs to prepare a nice lemon-dill sauce and some more to give a nice kick to my macaroni salad, some deviled eggs, and enough crab dip to warrant lunch. $25 for lunch and dinner? Yeah! Like I said yesterday, we never eat out here. Vicki has us covered.


I tried to read my new library copy of Nora, Nora by Anne Rivers Siddons while out on the beach today. But I was too distracted. I think I read 5 pages in 2 hours.


See that blue above the sea oats? That's my new favorite color except for yellow which will always be my very favorite color no matter what anybody says about that. That blue makes me want to stare at the sky.
Same blue. A little bit later. My guys are crossing the dunes and coming home from another round of boogie boarding.
So, what's God called me to do today? I did not go evangelize the beach. Which is just weird if you think about it. I mean, how many people walk up to strangers in their bikinis and Speedos? (Yes, I did spy some Speedo's today.) But I did spend some time chatting with Vicki and the lady at the produce stand. I'm pretty sure I was kind. I hope I was bubbling over with love.
I cooked dinner for my family tonight. Thanks to Vicki. Of course, the boys couldn't have cared less about the just-caught-this-morning fish, but Curt and I loved it. And how often do I actually cook a meal from scratch? Let's just say too rarely. (For that matter, how often to I cook a meal???) 


Hmmm. Maybe there's a take-away from this. Wonder if Vicki would consider sending me flash-frozen ingredients and recipes when we go back to New England. Do you think God sent me here to learn how to cook??? If I have a choice, I'll take that option over strangers-in-Speedos.

2 comments:

  1. Awww man! I read it all and examined every pic; where are the strangers in Speedos?!! J/K Looks like ya'll are having a beautiful time. That's great! Teresa Tate

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so beautiful,honey. I envy you but not too much! Dinner sounded good too and I do think maybe God wants you to cook! Maybe He even wants you to feed the multitudes! Have a wonderful week and tell the guys to be careful on their boogy boards. Love you much, Mom

    ReplyDelete