Saturday, February 25, 2012

As I told you yesterday, EmmaLemmaLimaBean has a bit of halitosis. 
See this picture?

I would not be able to do this in her current state.

This morning I spied why.
My baby has a lumpy growth in her mouth, on the inner side of her left upper lip. I spotted it quite by accident, and when I tried for a closer look, Emma wriggled and writhed her way out of my grasp. Bless her heart. It hurts.

Praise God for the New England Veterninary Center and Cancer Care, less than a mile from home. The sweet doctor there saw her right away, remembered me from our last check-up almost a year ago, and quickly realized he'd need more hands on my baby to get a closer look. A couple of minutes later,  Dr. Sachdev reappeared, flashing a photo of Emma's growth on his smart phone. It was quite ugly. As ugly as the plaintive cry I'd heard from Emma while she was being held, restrained, to get the photo. A mom knows that cry, even a dog's human mom. 

I left Emma there for a biopsy. It was sad, watching Dr. Sachdev lead her out the door and down the hall, but her tail was wagging. So trusting is she. 

I picked up my baby doll this afternoon after she'd awaken from her sedative. Benjy came with me. We could hear her barky howl, which is what she does when she's excited. 26 barky howls later, we fastened her collar about her neck and headed for home. She lapped up two bowls of water, took a snooze, and then gobbled up her dinner of ground beef sprinkled with her pain meds. Blissful is the Lima Bean.

And so we wait. The biopsy results will be back Tuesday or Wednesday. We don't dare wonder what it is. But we do pray. Benjy is our prayer warrior over here. He prayed to God that Emma would be OK. And I know God hears our prayers. Will it be OK here with us? On earth? Or will it be OK in heaven with Him? And yes, I do believe that all dogs to to heaven. If the Lord God would create such a wondrous creature, then why wouldn't He find a place for it in his perfect world?

That alone gives me peace.






No comments:

Post a Comment