
Home.
It was so good to be home. I drove from Roanoke to Norton in the standard 3 hours ~ no more, no less. And the time flew by. Going through Abingdon made me a bit nostalgic for old times.
The Barter Theater, a professional playhouse since the years of the great depression (where you could once trade your old vegetables for a ticket. Seriously.)

The Tavern, where I once had a tad too much to drink while spending the weekend with my friend Laurie at Emory & Henry. Mom made me go to church with her the very next day. Lesson learned.

The Martha Washington Inn. It's old. It has a history ~ first as a mansion, then as a women's college, then as a civil war hospital. (Mind you, if you still live in the south, you'd be calling this war the War Between The States. With Capital Letters. And Bitterness.) I've never stayed at this inn. But I think I may have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.

And then being in Norton was just, well, like opening a brand new box of Crayola crayons. You know, you take a deep whiff and you're transported back to another time.

The Martha Washington Inn. It's old. It has a history ~ first as a mansion, then as a women's college, then as a civil war hospital. (Mind you, if you still live in the south, you'd be calling this war the War Between The States. With Capital Letters. And Bitterness.) I've never stayed at this inn. But I think I may have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.

And then being in Norton was just, well, like opening a brand new box of Crayola crayons. You know, you take a deep whiff and you're transported back to another time.

Norton has this amazing view from the top of Flag Rock. Literally, a flag pole planted in a rock. It is very hard to hike/climb to this rock. But it used to be possible. I was too goody-two-shoes to make it. My sister did. She was cool like that.
And Norton is an old town.
Well, not that old. But you're lookin' at an actual photo of old-timey Norton. How cool is that?! Why, we used to have not one but TWO Piggly Wigglys! Seriously. SC. Seriously. Now we don't have any.
And here's a view of my beautiful home town. From the place near the flag on the rock. The flag I never went to. The flag my sister was braver than I was to go to.
And here is an actual photo of an actual clock that used to light up and used to tell time. I did not snap this photo at 6:34 p.m. or a.m. I wish they'd fix this baby up. So there you have it, my little tour of Norton. I'd show you more, but the internet doesn't offer up much else, except a bunch of pix of hotel rooms you could rent if you wanted to come over. Or you could stay at Mom and Dad's.
Mom makes great scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy. You'd like that way better than anything from the Super 8.



No comments:
Post a Comment