Sunday, October 01, 2006

I am a teacher


I really believed that I'd never go back into teaching again. I swore I would not. But then teaching found me and brought me back to the fold. And so I'm a teacher today. And I'm so blessed to call myself that. Not only do I get the satisfaction of seeing my 12 smiling students Monday through Friday, but I also get to see them when the light goes on and they realize they've truly grasped something. They're learning! They're wrapping their minds around new concepts and understanding them. That's the gift of teaching - witnessing this unmistakable a-ha moment and pushing them onward - past it and into a realm of new understanding. Sounds hokie, yes, but it's really something else to experience.
Here's a layout I put together last night for 3 Scrappy Boys last night. It was for a challenge called "All About Me".

Tomorrow I take Camden back to school with me. His teachers are still striking for more pay. Goodness knows I could use more, but you'll never find me on strike for it. Children are being hurt by this. There's no reason for them to be stuck at home or in day care or on the streets looking for something to do. Thank God my school director is so open to letting Camden come to school with me. Otherwise we'd be paying at least $150 to find a safe place for him to stay during the work week. And that wouldn't even guarantee that he'd be learning anything! I pray the teachers and board can come to an agreement QUICKLY. Sometimes you do something not for the money, but as a vocation. I've found mine. Maybe the teachers haven't found theirs.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN! I couldn't have said it better myself. You're one in a million, a GOOD teacher. I love you Mom

    ReplyDelete