Thursday, June 29, 2006

Looking for Ellie

We picked up Ellie's ashes from the vet yesterday on our way home from Barnes and Noble (with our shopping bag loaded down with Camden's new and heavy animal encyclopaedia, Benjamin's new Thomas the Train book and CD, a Real Simple magazine for me, and two cookies for the boys). Strange that her medium sized frame could be burned into ashes that can fit into a small jar and sealed shut inside.

And now that she's here, well, sort of here, I'm having Ellie "sightings". I thought she was behind me as I sat on the back porch this evening. I thought I'd be vacuuming up black fuzzy Ellie fur when I cleaned the kitchen tonight. And when Emma came into Camden's room while he and I were working on his summer workbook, I swear she sounded exactly like Ellie - her breathing, her footsteps, her very presence. Strange.

Guess I miss her and I'm looking for her in my everyday routines. I know she's happier now though. And so I'll be happy for her. Love you, Miss Ellie!

1 comment:

  1. She is there visiting and watching over you. I truly believe they do come and check on us. I guess they're so happy and content they just want to make sure their humans are safe and well. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete