Sunday, June 25, 2006

And help the bad guys be good...






Here's Camden's bedtime prayer:
Now I lay me down to sleep.
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
May angels watch me through the night
and wake me with the morning light.
Dear God, please bless Mommy, Daddy, Benjamin and me, Emma and Ellie's soul. And help the bad guys be good.
Amen.

I'm back from the beach! I drove to Roanoke on Monday in a record 5 and a half hours to meet my best friend, Jodie. We did make it to Holden Beach on Tuesday as planned, and we returned to Roanoke on Friday. Her father wasn't doing well and sadly but peacefully passed away on Saturday. I'm so sad for her and her family. But I do know that there's a certain amount of relief for them that their loved one isn't suffering from pain anymore. He's with God, and that has to be a better place than here on earth. We have to believe that. I am so sorry for Jodie and her mom, sisters, and friends. Such a sad time. Love you, Jodie. I'm thinking and praying for you and your sweet family!

Of all the things we did at the beach, I think seeing the dolphins was the best. We took a boat ride out on Thursday to the ocean to watch dolphins as they swam, breached, and carried on behind the shrimp boats out on the Atlantic. Wow. That pretty much sums it up. :) The nine of us - all teachers who at one time taught in the same inner city school in Virginia - had such a blessed trip. We laughed and laughed, ate and ate, and rested and read. I finished the John Sandford book I've been reading and learned of another author that I'll have to get at the library this week - Jodi Picoult. I walked along the shore a couple of times, once talking with friends and the other listening to my iPod and snapping pix of the beautiful shoreline. I ate fudge, shrimp scampi, crab cakes and the most wonderful tuna sandwich at a local "dive" that featured a laid back atmosphere and live music. It was my favorite of the three restaurants we visited for dinner. Oh, and for lunch we had tomato sandwiches with mayo and cheese. Yum! Fresh tomatoes from the gardens of North Carolina. Can't beat 'em.




Actually, the very best part of the trip was being with Jodie. We don't get together as often during the year as we'd like, but when we do, it's like we never parted. We catch up, giggle, and make new memories. She's my best friend. I could tell her anything, if my boring but wonderful life had anything going on! Love ya, Girl! And Lucy Renee does, too!!!

As wonderful as it was to escape to Holden Beach, it was more so to come home to Camden and Benjamin and Curt. The little ones ran to me, hugged me and couldn't wait to see their surprises. :) Being away from Curt for 5 days just made me appreciate him all the more. He's such a wonderful husband. Man, how did I get so lucky?!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Glad you got there safe and that Jodie was able to go with you. I am sorry to hear about her father, but as you mentioned he is in place with no pain...

    Love ya girl.

    Jodee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a nice weekend. I'm sure you helped Jodie a lot in her time of need by being such a good and available friend.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog. Please come back.
    I like your foot picture, I had an infamous one of my feet on my June 13 post(two actually). At:
    http://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/
    for June 13. Your feet might win the contest if you entered. With all that sand.
    ..

    ReplyDelete