Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Crowned, but not a queen

Of all the things to munch on and lose a crown - Japanese fried rice from Trader Joe's.

So I called my dentist to let him know that my temporary crown had popped off, and they rescheduled me for my permanent crown to be glued on today. Grateful, I was. No picture available.




Today:
EmmaTheDog chose a trip to the oncologist;
Benjy chose a play date;
Camden chose a trip to the New England Air Museum.

Emma's prognosis: Thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars of surgery and vaccines, and even radiation for melanoma cancer. God help us. We are praying. And what we are hearing is, "She's 16. She could die of old age tomorrow. Make her comfortable. Love her." (Please don't hate us. We're not financially wealthy; just spiritually. We love our Emma who has been with us since before we even wanted children of our own. We are realistic in spite of our hope. We just want to love her and hold her dear for the rest of her natural life.) And so we're leaning toward making her twilight days as happy as we can.

Benjy was happily playing with his friend while we cashed in our free tickets to the museum nearby. Camden patiently waited in line after line to sit in the cockpits of planes I've never heard of. He knew every one. Curt knew every one. Clearly, I was out of my element here. And my back was killing me. I found a chair, opened my Kindle app, and read for a bit (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close; no, I've not seen the movie.) Camden scored a model airplane kit for some World War II plane I'd never heard of. All were happy.

Spring break rocks. Even with a new crown that bestows no royalty whatsoever.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you are enjoying spring break and a brand new crown. You wear a crown always, you're truly a queen, sweetheart. I think y'all are making the right decision about Emma. Why make her life miserable for months and maybe not change a thing? Love her as y'all do, make her comfortable and happy as she has always been. The chemo and possible radiation would be so hard on her at her age. It would be hard on a much younger dog. I do not think you're doing anything but the right thing. Love y'all, and give Emma a BIG Nana hug.

    ReplyDelete