Sunday, October 23, 2011


Today Curt bade me not take a nap at noon and instead go to the corn maze BEFORE I fell into peaceful sleepitude.


Reluctantly, I agreed to rise, out of my complete sleepitude comfort zone, and go.


I got my feet very wet on this venture.
The sandy soil of Connecticut hadn't absorbed the rains of last week, 
so there were several swampy paths to traverse. 
When I traversed them, I got my feet wet.
Right through my socks.
My Birkies dyed my feet black.
On the traverse.
The traverse dyed my feet black.


However, wet, dirty, black feet and all, we had a blast.
And I only slightly regretted the cloudy skies.
I did imagine the blue skies of Southwest Virginia. 
And then I remembered that often we get the same blue skies here in New England.
God does give us blue skies too.
So what if we had gray skies today?
So freakin' what?!
We had a beautiful day.


A beautiful day at the corn maze
BEFORE I fell into peaceful sleepitude.

Even Camden was able, perfectly able but not necessarily willing,
to stop for a moment to make me happy.
Don't we look somewhat happy here?
Or is that me falling asleep?


Of course we had to take the hay ride, which was free.
Didn't we think we were the bargain hunters of the day?
But the hayride stopped at the pumpkin patch.
More on that later.


Meanwhile,
back at the corn maze through sparse corn stalks
that revealed all who walked through its scrawny stems,
I was clawing my way through.


And then, fast forward, we made it back,
not too winded, onto the FREE hayride,
and to the pumpkin patch.
Did we ask for this stop???


Curt found his favorite gourd.


He even played make-believe with it. I won't ask what it said to him.

And then Benjy found the pumpkin he was destined to have.
"You have to carry it yourself!" I yelled.
"You have to be able to pick it up!!!!" I hollared.
"You have to put it on the wagon, Benjy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
And then Dad came to the rescue. 
You see, he knew that this was Benjy's pumpkin.
Yes, it was a 30-pounder.
Yes, it was too heavy for our 8-year-old 65-pounder.
Yes, it was against Mom's rules.
But he was willing to carry it for  him.
And so we have a new 30-pound pumpkin on our front porch. 
Right beside Camden's 23-pounder that he carried
ALL BY HIMSELF,
every single step of the way.

 

It's gonna be in the 30s tonight, so Curt taught Benjy how to light the fire in the wood stove. This FREE stove of ours saves us eleventythousand dollars on heating oil in a year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment