This is one of my favorite pictures snapped of our last trip to Hatteras Island. It's what I think of every time I picture myself back there. Time seems to stop for 7 days every summer on the Outer Banks, and we're blessed to spend those 168 hours. Yes, we're blessed.
So, we'll be there a week from today in our rented home for the week, traipsing back and forth from our door to the beach whenever we want. In the daylight. Last year Curt and I took a stroll at dusk, and found ourselves walking the Atlantic in the dark, completely unsure of which steps over the dunes were ours. Oh, exhilarating, yes, but slightly unnerving, too. They don't put streetlights on the beach, ya know. On account of the turtles and all. I love turtles.

Camden wiped out so many times riding the waves last year that he would up with swimmer's ear and a trip to the island doc. Sounds like a voodoo kinda thing, but they did take our insurance and extract a nasty bit of wax from his ear canal before loading it with antibiotic drops. He had to spend a majority of the week out of the water. It killed me as much as him, I do believe.
Don't you just love our set-up here? This is what we do when we don't traipse to the beach near the house. This is four-wheelin' it, people. We load up the truck, drive to the Point, and make our shelter like everybody else there. We've perfected our beach layout over the years since Jack and Lois introduced us to this amazing paradise. Cheers to Jack and Lois. 
So, in a week, we get to pass this marvel of architecture every time we hit the Highway 12. We look for this, that's how lame we are being Connecticutians and all. It's actually one of a very few Futuro houses left in the US. Yes, we're proud to have passed it on Highway 12.
I sure do hope Camden can splash in the surf this year. Ride the waves. Dive for conch shells. Did you know that a couple of years ago, the conch shells were there for the taking? I could feel them with my feet in the 4-5-foot ocean, then Camden would dive to retrieve. He's always been a good retriever.
Which reminds me, if we ever get another Lab mutt dog, we're gonna name it OB. Short for Outer Banks. Jack and Lois always loved our Lab, Ellie.

RIP Ellie, Eleanor of the Sea.
Just keep rubbing it in!! I'll be in surgery and y'all seeing the ocean. Oh, well...............then you don't even mention your poor ole' Mom in the whole ding dang blog. How am I doin'? Just teasing you, hope y'all have a wonderful, safe trip. AND NO ear infections! Drive carefully and enjoy, relax and send me a conch shell. I sure do love my little family up there in Yankee country. Mom
ReplyDelete