Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Casa de OBX

This is a mishmash of stuff in no order other than how Blogger uploaded my photos.


Today was our first rainy day at Hatteras Island in three years of vacationing here. It started last night with a little lightning storm followed by a downpour, then tapered off to sporadic sprinkles this morning and afternoon. The overcast skies held the temp down to around 80 which was refreshing after the 106 we endured on the way down here Saturday.


Here is Sir Richert feeling all high and mighty as he psyches himself into grilling fresh tuna. As it turns out, he did it perfectly - seared on the outside, meaty and rare on the in. And thanks to Vicki at Harbor House Seafood for the best seafood every single night we are here. We never eat out when we're on vacation because Vicki's seafood is fresh from her husband and son's morning catch, and she tells us how to fix it. We'd rather pay her for the food and advice than a restaurant for overpriced service. (Even a dingdang corndog costs 6 bucks on this island! But gas is cheaper than in Connecticut. Go figure.)

Sir Richert has mastered steamed shrimp, and he knows how to make tuna salad with fresh basil the Harbor House Seafood way. Plus also, he's pretty good at heating up Vicki's hushpuppies.



We decided to spend the rainy afternoon shopping for souvenirs. This year I got it D-O-W-N. One stop at Life Is Good, which yielded a big fat ZERO. (Thanks, Dave Ramsey, for making me feel like $35 for pajama bottoms is excessive.) I opted for a few sparkly starfish since I never seem to stumble on those at the beach. The boys chose kites.



Camden's required a bit of surgery shortly after crashing.



They did battle it out for a bit and only got tangled once. I saved the day by untangling them because that's my forte.



This morning we headed out to the point for shells. Low tide was at 10, so we figured it might be a good time to find some. And we did. I was choosy, though, and didn't bring home all I found. These were my picks.



Benjy and Daddy flying their kites. Yes, all three of my boys have kites.



Rushing home for dinner. These boys aren't running for tuna, though. They're running for corndogs and chicken nuggets - freezer-to-oven-to-table. Nothing but the best for our offspring.



Benjy found a pet crab today. He played with him, talked to him, danced with him I think.



I'm thinking I need sea oats at my house.



I could use an ocean, too.




No comments:

Post a Comment