Monday, August 10, 2009


Back when I was a young mountain girl with pigtails, not at all the enchanting lady I am today, I loved the ritual of back-to-school shopping with my sister and mom. We lived in a tiny town miles and miles away from the nearest shopping mall. There were no Wal-Marts. No Hill's discount stores. No big box office supply stores like Staples. What we had was the pharmacy in Big Stone Gap and the Ben Franklin and Woolworth in Norton. Plus also, the Piggly Wiggly sold a few school-related items in the Kleenex aisle.

Each August, we'd start in town at what my grandmother called the
five and dimes. I'd rush to the shelves where the brand new Trapper Keepers and spiral bound notebooks and zippered pencil pouches rested. I'd pick out glossy pocket folders with cute kitties and pups on the covers, the tri-binder with the most features - including a clip, tabbed dividers, extra folders, a zippered pouch. I'd smell the plastic cover, practically inhale it, touch the smooth folders. This was a very sensual experience, as you can see. I'd pick out a few special pencils and erasers, a bottle of squeezy glue, the big pack of Crayolas with the sharpener in the back, beg Mom for a mini-stapler. Because I really truly neeeeeeeeeded it, of course. We never bought backpacks. They weren't the rage, and plus also we had arms, so we carried our books. I don't recall ever seeing a backpack in elementary school. As I said, though, this was a long time ago, back when Laura and Mary used to meet us on the walk to school where Nellie would show off her ringlets.

In those days, back-to-school shopping marked the beginning of the back-to-school season. Today, it heralds Halloween. So, when I finally wind my way past the new costumes and scary candy bowls, and find the aisle of primary colors and all things papery, I'm in a time warp of sorts. Some of my favorite little girl memories involve paper and pencils and Trapper Keepers. And so, I'm excited that Teaching Heart Mom is having a giveaway for a $25 Walmart card to get - guess it, people - school supplies!!!!!!!!!!

If I won this baby, I'd dance right over to Wally World and pick up some last-minute goodies for my first graders: several Crayola watercolor paint sets, a few dry erease markers for us kids to use during word study and math, some new headphones for the listen-to-reading station, and perhaps some happy stickers cause kids love stickers. That'd about blow the $25, so I'll save the bean bag chairs for another time. :)

What do YOU like to do at back-to-school time?

2 comments:

  1. I would just love to go back to those wonderful back to school shopping trips with my girls. Loved them, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how Jeff??? got on my post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete