This man, this patient, loving, constant, bright-side-of-the-road Dad, went to his ear-nose-and-throat specialist today. While there the good doctor did a scan of his throat. After 6 weeks worth of chemotherapy and radiation that left him drained, severely burned, cranky (but, hey, he has every reason to be, right?! And Dad told me this himself; this is in no way a personal judgment; for the record, he was only cranky to me one time, but who's counting?), unable to eat, and in the worst imaginable pain, Dr. A. peered into his tiny camera lens, walked out of the room, and then returned after a short while that must have seemed like a zillion years. Then he beamed. He did not see any cancer. It was gone.
Praise God. Dad has been on more prayer lists than I can count. Mom, Michelle, and my little family have prayed for him daily. We've prayed for him weekly during devotions at school. Churches here and in Virginia have prayed for this man.
And God listens. He always listens. We never know how he will act. I don't know why God chose to save this man. I like to think He has more work for Dad here on earth. I like to believe that somebody, somewhere, will be led to Jesus through Dad's healing. All I know is that God knows what He is doing. It doesn't matter if I know or not. For now, all I can do is thank Him. Thank you, God. Thank you for making my Dad whole again. Thank you for giving him hope, relief, LIFE. Thank you for loving him, holding him throughout his treatment, keeping Mom in your loving embrace, and guiding them both every single step of the way.
Dad needs scans of his body every six weeks for the next two years to be considered "cured" or "cancer free". Today's proclamation is early, but it's a bend in the road in the right direction. We'll take it.
Did I mention how very courageous that woman beside this man is? She is. She's my mom. She's the caretaker. The nurse. The worrier. She insists that Dad eat when he doesn't want to. She puts up a brave front when she might otherwise shrink into the bed covers for the day. She loves him. For at least 44 years she's loved him. Yeah, I'm praising God for her, too. I think Dad pulled through this horrible time with her right by her side. Right where she belonged. God brought the two of them together for better or worse, in sickness and in health. They are a testament to the power of love and marriage. Thank you Mom and Dad.
God sure knows what He's doing,huh? And He really did know when He gave us YOU! Praise God! Love ya, Mom
ReplyDeleteWendi! That is wonderful news!! God IS amazing! He gives and takes away and sometimes we may not know why, but one thing I do know is "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding" Proverbs 3:5
ReplyDeleteLove Ya and miss you!
-K10