
I wish I had a picture of this.
This thing that stopped me today.
Slowed me down.
Made me marvel at the creativity of children.
The kids (my first graders, not my own personal children) came in this morning and developed a little competition among themselves building houses out of snap cubes from the math manipulatives corner. They started off in pairs and quickly settled into constructing their own unique homes for the barrel of monkeys who also live in our room. They convinced me that I should reward the best builder with a Hershey's Kiss.
What I hadn't expected was the sheer creativity these kids put into their little homes. They had fireplaces, see-saws, vines for swinging, even a prison for the naughty monkeys in the community. I sat, perched on the tiny chairs and cushions in our classroom and listened. Each of the four participants in this game of Flip This House To Mrs. Richert explained how their house worked for the monkeys and why their house was, indeed, the best. I was honestly just taken aback and filled with joy for them. For the fun they had making these and the friendly competition it spawned.
In the end. I couldn't decide, so I awarded everyone a Kiss. And I popped one for myself for the sheer enjoyment of stopping to listen to these awesome kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment