Thursday, October 13, 2005

Mommy, what if...

Camden asks this question every day. Sometimes it's just a silly situation. What if a volcano came? What if a spaceship came? What if I really was Darth Vader? Sometimes it's more serious - What if I come home on the bus and you're not here?

Well, the more serious happened today. Camden's substitute teacher accidentally put him on the bus even though his school has a note to put him on the day care van every Thursday. Around 4 o'clock, I went to look for him (a perk of being the preschool program specialist at this very daycare/preschool). He wasn't there. I started to panic. I asked the director if she had seen Camden since she drove the van from his school that day. She hadn't. He wasn't there. I launched into full panic mode, but still was within my right mind to drive home. Thank the Lord - Thank the Lord! - that Camden was safe and sound, playing with the next door neighbor kids with whom he rides the bus. I ran next door, out our fenced backyard and into theirs, and hugged him with all my might, crying and relieved beyond comprehension. He knew just what to do. He realized I wasn't home so he went next door, rang the bell, "dropped off my backpack and walked right in! I've been playing!" I think he loved this little diversion on the outside, for he loves his neighborhood friends. But I also think that this little upset in his routine rattled him a bit. I told him several times how proud I am of him. How he knew just what to do. Thank God I had answered his incessant questions. Even the ones I thought were pointless. Thank God he asked.

1 comment:

  1. I know you must have been frantic. He's such a smart little man, thanks to his Mom's teachings though. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete