Monday, November 18, 2013

How Mom Led Us To Bo

Oh, how this dog has blessed us in the month we've called him ours. 

This is Bo. 

BoBo. 
Boba Fett. 
Bobolicious. 
BoBunny. 
BoBear.
Bo Boy. 

Bo is a rescue Beagle who had the fortune of being dumped at the end of a dirt driveway in the wilds of Grayson County. That driveway ended at Vicky's house. And Vicky is That Crazy Dog Lady who rescues dogs. I met her through Mom. Vickie rescued two puppy-mill Maltese who had been bred and bred and bred. And then Mom adopted them and loved them and called them her own. They were her forever dogs. And then she was gone. 

Vicky graciously re-homed Buddy and Chloe. And through our Facebook conversations about Mom and her much-loved dogs, she became my own friend. I could see why Mom adored Vicky. Her desperation to help Mom's daughter and her love for these helpless dogs sealed it. 

And then there was Bo. I kept seeing pictures of him on her Facebook wall, pictures of an adorable Beagle with floppy ears and a sweet fuzzy face. For months Vicky had tried to find a home for Bo, but he was just too "quirky". Nobody wanted him enough to keep him. Frankly, I just don't get that. A dog with no quirks must be a statue. Or a cat. What were dog owners expecting? 

We drove 2 hours and 20 minutes to meet Bo. Benjy was the most excited because he had already fallen in love with the Beagle and had declared him HIS. And sure enough, as soon as he jumped out of the car, Bo was all over him. Face-sniffing, tail-wagging, following-him-down-the-drive all over him. Bo had met his master. And even as we left an hour later, Bo never looked back. He was ours. 


Now that we've had him around a bit, I can name some of his quirks. He's a hoarder, preferring to hide his bones instead of eating them. He has to be led; he can't be pushed. He loves being a lap dog, but he won't sit still. He sleeps all the time, and he snores. Loudly. I guess rabbits are safe in Bo's presence.

Not that I mind any of Bo's quirky ways. They are perfectly doggy to me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment