Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Streaky Formica and Leg Lamps

Sometimes God wants you to act weird. He asks you to do some things that might seem, well, beneath you. He expects you to sacrifice a few pieces of furniture and such for the greater good. He even has the audacity to ask you to - gasp - go without a front porch!

A couple of years ago? Ida been, "What? Who, me? I'm OK, God. I'm OK. Me and my furniture pieces and porch with the swing and that view of your creation? We're good.")

But now? Hey, we here at Casa de Richert are pinched wide awake on this journey with God. He's asking us to downsize. He wants us to do more with less. He thinks being close, as in crammed together in half the square footage, will bring us closer to each other, closer to Him. He wants us to do it in a 1950s rental house near the center of town. No suburbs for us. Nu-uh. We're goin' downtown.

So, maybe I'll see you there
We can forget all our troubles
Forget all our cares so go

Downtown, things'll be great when you're
Downtown, don't wait a minute more
Downtown, everything's waiting for you
Downtown
Read more at http://www.songlyrics.com/petula-clark/downtown-lyrics/#t4IW2OgmlrDgshx0.99
Anywho. The boys and I went to look at this rental that Curt and I first saw last Sunday. They liked it. They apparently are unaffected by streaky formica. It's a good thing we never spoiled them with granite, no?
Each saw their future room. Boy 1 and Boy 2 loved them. Oh, to see life through their eyes. We truly would be living "downtown".

So, just what separates my boys' perspectives from my own? Hmmmmm. I'm too embarrassed to even fathom it. What, with me living in absolute security and comfort in a world where many go without food. I don't want to guilt a single one of you, but I'm sure this tiny house is a mansion by a stretch. To think that I'm delighted to have a closet for my clothes! I should be thankful to have pint-sized dry stretch to lay my head. 

Still, it's an adjustment for us, but one I'm sure we'll fit into. God is good that way. We have faith that He will provide. There will be money to make our tithe. There will be extra for the missionary we want to support. There will be room for a Christmas tree and the toaster and Pistachio the Mixer that is alone a luxury. (She can whip up a mean chocolate pound cake, let me tell you.)

When I think of where we stand in the great scheme of things, I know we're beyond blessed. And this little formica kitchen with streaky stripes and '60s decor provides for us in spite of what we deserve. 

We are blessed beyond our deserving. 

We are blessed. 

And can't you just see the leg lamp here???
the leg lamp worthy award window





4 comments:

  1. So grateful you have a place for the leg lamp & a place to rest your head while we continue to pray in one accord. -Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dee, thank you. I know you think these things precious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, do you really put out the "leg lamp"? ;-)

    Teresa Tate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa, Yes, since I got it for my husband as a Christmas gift, the leg lamp goes with every Christmas. It is what it is. :)

    ReplyDelete