Tuesday, May 29, 2012

For Sale

Living in Connecticut has its advantages. (Read: I'm trying to be positive.)

The autumns are beyond gorgeous.
It snows on occasion.
It's ever-so-slightly cooler than, say, at the equator.

So, the weather's all right.

But there are parts that have left us, well, a little luke warm. 
Like when the taxes kept going up.
And the mortgage equity kept going up.
And, thus, the mortgage kept going up.

That part sucks, frankly.

So with a lot of prayer, we've decided to downsize. We're in the process of staging this house for sale in hopes of finding a smaller, cheaper home here in Connecticut. There's no doubt for Curt or me that God still needs us here. We, in fact, believe in our heart that God wants us in New England to support our church. And there's the no-small-fact that I teach at the Christian school here in town, which is a God Wink in and of itself. God's not done with us up here in this mission field. 

But that leaves us with a list of tasks that might possibly stretch to Virginia. Tired is not even a word for what I feel right now. Still, God has given me great peace, if not an abundance of energy and an extra day in my week, about this change. It doesn't matter that this is the first house we've attempted to sell that's not a guaranteed company buy-out. It doesn't matter that we have relationships here on Somerset Drive. It doesn't matter that we have to pack our own boxes and then move them to who-knows-where. Who knows? None of that compares to the calling on our lives to be good stewards of what God has given us. And quite honestly, Dave Ramsey is breathing down our necks.

So, I will turn in now and pray that my brain will turn off tonight and let me get some cotton-pickin' sleep so that tomorrow I can come home from school and turn back to The List and check off a few more items. 

And I'll pray that this little trip we're on will seem like just another little adventure for my family. Won't you pray for us, too?

11 comments:

  1. We downsized a few years ago and I was terrified - so I can hear everything in your writing but you are right, you will be taken care of. That was my mantra as I fell asleep each night, Please God, keep me safe.(from fear, and loneliness in a new place, money-woes, and stressing my family) And I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how many people I know up here who are in the same boat. I'm so glad to hear that you came out safe and sound. God is so good!

      Delete
  2. Where we lay our heads at night is home. Where we go is where God wants us to go. What we have to eat is what feeds us. As long as we have God, each other, and our family - We will be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, dear. Thank you. You said what I needed to hear.

      Delete
  3. I will pray someone falls in love with your house. Praying for the little house you are looking for to be waiting for you.
    Two things.
    1. The content of your story is heart felt and I loved reading your heart.
    2. Your writing draws me in, you tell a story and I am right there sitting with you at your kitchen table listening to you share your feelings.
    (Dave Ramsey is breathing down our necks too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you! Both for the prayers and the feedback. There's nothing like Dave Ramsey to make you think straight, huh?!

      Delete
  4. I hope you find the right buyer for your home in a speedy fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey. It's too bad you didn't make this decision two years ago! It wouldn't made our lives a little easier. May God bless your downsizing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendi... We downsized 7 years ago. It was such a great decision for us! I'd say for four years after that, we felt like we were in a vacation home in all the good ways. Instead of feeling burdened and weighed down with the financial stress we were feeling, God blessed us with such peace about our prayerful decision! I will pray that you will feel just like we did! :-) Love, MarĂ­a

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Maria! That is exactly what we hope to feel. Your prayers are so welcome and appreciated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a grand, God-lead, adventure! May you know His Peace in the midst of "the list" and His Joy knowing you glorify Him in your obedience. hugs, Dee V.

    ReplyDelete