Thursday, January 15, 2009


It was hard to narrow this post down to my top 13 all-time favorite children's books, but I did it. In spite of the bitter winds and blowing snow, I did it.


I read this book a thousand times to Camden and then ten thousand times more to Benjy. I have it memorized. Apparently, Maurice Sendak orignally wanted his Wild Things to be horses, but he said he couldn't draw horses so he turned them into monsters. I like the monsters better than I would have liked horses. 

The night Max wore his wolf suit
and made mischief of one kind and another
his mother called him Wild Thing.
And Max said
I'll eat you up!
So he was sent to bed
without eating anything.
That very night in Max's room
a forest grew and grew and grew
until the ceiling hung with vines
and the walls became the world all around him.
And an ocean tumbled by
with a private boat..........


Trixie Beldon was the chapter book series of choice for me when I was a kid. Nancy Drew wasn't for me. But I did have a crush on one of the Hardy boys from the TV show - Parker Stevenson. I think I read all the Trixie books. But I couldn't tell you one single thing about them now. 


Oh. My. Gosh. 
This author is my new favorite kids' book writer on the planet. 
He is understated, grown-up and kid-like at the same time. I have all his books. And my kids at school strive to write like Mo. And we draw pigeons all the time. Love this guy.


This author wrote his first book when he was 5. And on every page were the words "No, David." and a picture of him doing something that he wasn't supposed to do. I love how the book's happy ending reassures us that no matter what horrible, awful, terrible things we do, our moms still love us.

Junie B. Jones is my favorite first grader on the planet. She talks like a first grader, bad grammar and all. She acts like a first grader, self-centered much of time. And she cracks me up. Completely cracks me up. I love this whole series, and my first graders BEG me to read a new one between every other chapter book we share after recess. There's nothing like a roomful of kids relaxing on pillows, blankets, and carpets, giggling their heads off over Junie B.'s antics.


This was one of my earliest reads. Except for the "bureau drawer" page. That's a tricky word.


I read every single Harry Potter book and I wish Hogwarts lasted longer than seven years so I could read more. I was on pins and needles between every book. This is a perfect story for kids and grown-ups alike. Now, where's my broom? I've gotta run.


Another from a series by Mo Willems. These are so simple yet so perfectly wonderful to read aloud. And my firsties are eating these up, reading them fluently and with such expression. Mo would be so proud!


Cynthia Rylant. Love. Her. Books.


Doreen Cronin writes such funny stories. And she's been writing them since she was a first grader. Ahhhhh. AND, her favorite foods are grilled cheese sandwiches and chocolate shakes. (Wonder how many POINTS that is......)


Same author as the Diary of a Worm. Written in 20 minutes. It's HILARIOUS!


I cry every year when I read the part where Charlotte dies. This is powerful writing.



It's just fun to say "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day." Try it.



2 comments:

  1. Harry Potter made the list! Awesome!

    Where's the peanut butter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll work on my list of children's books that I love.

    There are so many that I can think of. In some ways, it will be very hard to narrow it down!

    ES, you crack me up!

    ReplyDelete