Saturday, July 16, 2016

No words, but I can't stay silent



  
I am sad. 

These past days I have been silent on the shootings that have rocked America.
I have struggled to find words.
I have cried while reading the morning paper.
I have fumed while reading Facebook.
I have buried my head in the sand thinking that if I say nothing it'll be OK. 

But it's not.

I grieve for my black friends, for police officers, for my hometown, for America. 
I grieve for a country that emancipated slaves more than a century ago and still hasn't figured out how to live and love together. 
I grieve that here in Roanoke, Virginia, I have precious few friends who don't look like me.

Since we moved back home, to Roanoke, I have longed for the diversity that surrounded me when we lived in Connecticut. There, at a small Christian school where I taught and the boys attended, we were the minority. When Camden sang in the middle school chorus, he was a pasty white face in a sea of browns. In second grade, when Benjy said "asked", he pronounced it "axed". And it was OK. It was beautiful. 



Here, we live in a town largely segregated by the train tracks that traverse our city and the mid-century urban renewal projects that further divided us. 
Black to the north. White to the south.
I grieve that.

And now I'm left with no words. 
My thoughts are a jumble of hurt and dismay. 
I don't want to be a noisy gong, but I want to tell my friends and students that I love them, and they matter. 
Their lives matter. 


Maybe I just need to revisit the 2nd graders I had a few years ago. Revisit their smiling faces and the dreams they had. And pray that their dreams will be fulfilled. 




"So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
-- Isaiah 41:10





2 comments:

  1. It's especially difficult when you read FaceBook and realize many of your "friends" are woefully ill-informed and spread racist messages without even realizing what they are saying propagates the issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is difficult. :( I pray that I don't add to the cacophony in sharing my own thoughts.

      Delete