Summer vacation is hard when you have a 13-year-old and a 10-year-old, and the owner of the house we rent says NO to putting up the redneck pool. It's hard to entertain this age without 4 feet of water.
Today was Day One of summer vacation. Technology time limits were in place. Even for me. I was content to sit in the back yard and read my latest freebie from the Take-It-Or-Leave-It shed at the town dump. (Dennis Lehane's thriller, Sacred). Benjy was happy to play with his 43.6 billion Legos. Camden couldn't close the 5th Harry Potter. All was well.
Lunch was easy, pizza - freezer-to-oven. Then I dragged the boys to Aldi's with me just to get us all out of the house. Once home, technology times were burned. Then boredom set in.
NO, I said, to computer time.
NO, I said, to iPods.
NO, I said, to X-Box.
"You need a hobby," I offered.
I could hear the eye rolls.
Nonetheless, Benjy started the first Lord of the Rings book, then went back to his Legos. Camden drifted back into Harry's Order of the Phoenix. I slipped out back to my thriller (oh no, nobody can be trusted in this book!). Whew, the day was salvaged. We topped it off by watching one of the Lord of the Rings movies while I crocheted the blanket that I hope to finish by 2020. (Yes, a movie is technically plugged in, but we were all four together plus the cat. That counts for something.)
I think we'll take this summer thing one day at a time. With any luck, we'll actually be able to talk about a few novels when school starts again. I'll settle for anything but Mine Craft.
One thing I'm sure of, at least we won't drop a book in the pool.
No comments:
Post a Comment