Sunday, April 11, 2010


If you are a primary teacher of reading, you probably know this book. It was the first one I read that triggered that longed-for ah-ha moment: So that's how you teach kids to read!

I first heard of Kathy Collins through proteacher, a message board for, you guessed it, teachers. I have not one, but two copies of this book. Long story short, I left my first one in Pennsylvania, not knowing when I would teach again. Then, when I got this gig teaching 2nd grade, I bought myself another because I can't teach without it, I tell you. On account of it's like the bible of how young children learn to read.


This is Kathy herself. She's the author of this amazing book that reads like you're hanging out in the classroom of your favorite teacher listening to her talk about what she did on that day with her kids. I love teachers like that. And plus also, she lives in New Hampshire. That's close to me, you know. So, I go to West Hartford yesterday to see her speak and she did not disappoint. I was inspired. I giggled.

I love that she liked books I like. (Ever read Duck Rabbit?)


She LIKES it, just like ME!)


And she is a humongous fan of David Sedaris. Well, I, too, like David Sedaris. He's a stitch, I tell you.


She had me hanging on the edge of my seat till my butt couldn't sit any longer. Then I was hanging by the balls of my feet as I stood in the back with Francie listening to who I want to be when I grow up. (Well, a little bit Kathy, a little bit Debbie Miller.)



So, she finishes her spiel, and it's time to leave. I stalk her, as fast as I can, to ask her to autograph my books. I'm cool. I'm confident. I'm every bit the subdued second grade teacher I think I am.



HI!
IJUSTLOVEYOU.
WOULDYOUPLEASESIGNMYBOOKS?
IJUSTLOVEYOU!!!!

IHAVETOTELLYOUTHAT.
I'MNOTWEIRD.


And, guess what, she signed them! In spite of myself!

1 comment: